Thursday, May 8, 2014

Reader Response

IMDb: Nearly every review I read on the film gave it a perfect score. Praising things such as the character development and depth to the level of acting each person brought forth. The only thing that came even close to a negative comment on the film was that the story was a little cheesy and fairly predictable. Viewers found the relationship between Baby and Johnny captivating and their on screen chemistry mind-blowing. I would agree mostly that a lot of effort was put into developing believable characters from different backgrounds in this film. A lot of the major plot points bring up issues that can spark a lot of debate and I don't really find them to be cheesy or cliché.

"I viewed this movie for the first time last night and I enjoyed every aspect of it –the dancing, the acting, the dialogue, the plot, the script and the whole atmosphere that this movie created. I would highly recommend it."


Rotten Tomatoes: The ratings were a little more varied on here. Many critiques of the film again were on how cheesy it was and that it was even embarrassing to watch Swayze and Grey dance together. Others still noted that the film is a classic that touched on sensitive issues of the time such as abortion and the Vietnam/Communist situation. I felt like perhaps more seasoned film critics commented on here rather than on IMDb where it sounds like it was more fangirly.

"A great soundtrack and dancing scenes....but is that it? After all the hype I expected a lot more!"

Amazon: A lot of the reviews here were similar to those of IMDb. Praising nearly every aspect of the film to the plot and characters to the dancing and music as well. Very high reviews were given from countless people. To most of them I would agree. I felt the dancing was choreographed very well and the music always fits the mood of the scene.

"It is awfully hard not to get swept up into the nostalgic heat and sentiment of this unabashedly, and well-done, teen romance. It is, by turns, sexy, funny, melodramatic, jamming (what with that soundtrack chock full of some of the best pop hits of the 60s mixed with a few great new songs) and campy. Yet the overriding feeling of melancholy and wistfulness, portrayed with real talent by Jennifer Grey, as the perfect Baby, transforms this movie into something lasting, something to really love."





Works Cited:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092890/reviews?ref_=tt_ov_rt
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/dirty_dancing/reviews/?type=user
http://www.amazon.com/Dirty-Dancing-Jennifer-Grey/dp/B000IDGBWU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1399585582&sr=8-1&keywords=Dirty+Dancing

1 comment:

  1. Overall I thought the movie was pretty good. There were some slow and boring parts but mostly the movie was quite good. I enjoyed the music especially and some of the dance moves well lets just say I like some of them but some weren't that great like the pachanga! Another part I dislike was baby's sister practice singing her song before the talent show and lets just say she isn't the greatest! But overall the movie was good and I'd give it a 4/5!

    ReplyDelete