A coming of age film that I feel resonates well with Dirty Dancing is the movie The Breakfast Club. Like Baby's character each of the characters from this classic 80's flick grows immensely over the course of the film. They all learn more about each other while sitting in detention for a day and more importantly they learn a lot about themselves. I feel this film has a lot to say about what growing up is really about. Letting stereotypes go and really being more open to everyone around you plays a big part to this film and I feel like it applies to Dirty Dancing as well. Baby learns from the conflicts in the movie about what is truly important to her and it helps her character grow as a whole. The five main characters of The Breakfast Club go through this process as well and each look inside and learn what matters most to them and grow because of it. I feel like the similarities between these films ends there but they both promote their own ways about what it really takes to take that step into adulthood and to know what one really wants from life.
Source Cited:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088847/
This is a great connection. I also mentioned the same film but I didn't go in full depth of the relationship since I focused on some other films as well but, I see a great connection as the characters in both films grew into more wise and mature characters. In both films they learned to change for the better from other characters of whom they had just met. Meeting these new people who they thought may have not made a difference in their lives really created a nice surprise. Both Baby and the high schoolers who served detention learned from others throughout the course of time that everyone is different and being exposed to those lives and personal experiences makes them grow stronger as individuals.
ReplyDelete